admin Jun 01, 2020
Our mouths give a clear picture of our overall health to the dentist with just one look. The practitioners can figure out if the patient is suffering from any vitamin deficiencies or diseases like diabetes and anaemia through tooth fractures and gum problems.
Also, some oral infections can affect your other body parts and lead to more significant issues if they are not controlled in time. For example, the bacteria that invade the mouth during periodontitis can cause various other ailments in the body.
Thus it is common for Hope Island dentists to refer their patients to physicians for a thorough check-up of their over well-being. The reason behind this is that the mouth is always filled with bacteria, and some of these diverse microorganisms can wreak havoc in other intern parts. Thus dentists emphasise on maintaining proper oral hygiene.
How The Two Are Linked?
Since our mouth is a gateway to most of the vital body parts, such as the respiratory system and the digestive system, the levels of bacteria in the mouth can affect them. Usually, the bacteria build-up due to improper oral hygiene causes infection.
The natural defence mechanism of the body comes into action to fight the problem and causes inflammation of the gums. If this remains unchecked, the bacteria start damaging the bone under the tooth and the surrounding gums and lead to severe gum problems like gingivitis and periodontitis.
They can also result in bacterial pneumonia, stroke, arterial blockage and cardiovascular disease if they are allowed to grow. Similarly, diseases like diabetes and HIV/AIDS reduce the immunity of the human body and aggravate minor oral problems into severe infections.
Others ailments like osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s are also known to increase the risk of bone damage in the mouth.
How Are Certain Conditions Affected By Poor Oral Health?
Now that we have understood the correlation between oral and overall health, it is vital to know which ailments are caused by inadequate dental hygiene. As stated above, cardiovascular diseases like arterial blockage and stroke could be the result of oral bacteria as there have been cases which have pointed to tooth problems for these disorders.
Another disease known as endocarditis which refers to the infection of the valves of the heart is caused by the bacteria present in other parts of the body that reach the heart through the bloodstream.
Also, some experts suggest that the inflammation of the gums can cause the inflammation of the blood vessels and amplify the threat of a heart attack as the blood pressure soars due to constriction of the vessels.
Many researchers have linked premature birth during pregnancy and low-birth-weight of babies with periodontal disease. Although preterm births can happen due to a variety of reasons, the inflammation of the gums is known to affect the development of the foetus.
The hormonal changes taking place in the body of the woman during pregnancy can cause periodontitis. Thus healthy teeth are extremely vital during pregnancy.
Additionally, sometimes the bacteria from the mouth can travel to your respiratory system and cause pneumonia. It is quite evident that there are several links between mouth health and overall health.
Thus you must share all the information about any illnesses and medications you are taking with your dentist so that they can offer an appropriate diagnosis and consultation.
The Best Way To Deal With The Problem
Since your mouth is an essential part of your body which leads to various vital organs, you must take care of it all times to stay away from both oral and general medical conditions. Most dentists believe that a healthy mouth can help you to live a hale and hearty life. Here is what you must do.
- Brush your teeth twice daily and do not forget to floss to remove the particles stuck between the gaps in teeth. Make sure that you are using a soft brush that doesn’t hurt your gums and fluoride-based toothpaste.
- Rinsing with an antimicrobial mouthwash is a good habit to inculcate as it helps in removing any leftovers and reducing bad breath. It also has some specific ingredients that help in teeth whitening.
- To maintain a healthy mouth, you must consume a balanced and nutritious diet which is not deficient in minerals and vitamins as deficiencies can lead to various gum problems.
- Avoid sugar-laden foods and drinks that can stick to your teeth and lead to cavities and other tooth problems.
- Visit your dentist after every six months even if you don’t have any oral ailments as regular check-ups help in identifying cavities and gum problems at an early stage.
- Reduce tooth decay by reducing the use of tobacco as it can cause oral cancer, coronary heart disease and respiratory problems.
- You should visit your dentist immediately if you witness gum bleeding while brushing, swollen gums, pus in gums, loose teeth, etc.
If you have been under the impression that tooth decay may not cause much harm and continue life without visiting a dentist in Hope Island, then you are mistaken. The bacteria in your mouth can affect your body and make things worse. So take care of your oral hygiene to stay fit and healthy.