admin Dec 10, 2019
Teeth are an indispensable part of our anatomy, and it is essential to keep them strong and healthy. Teeth help you grind the food you consume to make its digestion easier. They maintain the structure of your face and help you pronounce numerous words. Apart from the operational aspects, teeth make you look better, as a smile with a healthy set of pearly whites is attractive. Therefore, it is imperative to maintain good oral hygiene and care for your teeth.
As you age, your teeth experience the different stages of decay, which can cause teeth discolouration, breakage, corrosion, ache, and eventually loss. Here is your guide to learn about the different stages of tooth decay to know which stage you’re at and tips on how to keep your teeth strong and healthy as you grow older.
DIFFERENT STAGES OF TOOTH DECAY
The white spots on teeth are the first sign of tooth decay. They form due to build-up of plaque and calcium depletion. The plaque bacteria start metabolising sugars from the food you eat and produce acid, which is detrimental for the tooth enamel. At this stage tooth decay can be managed and stopped through proper oral hygiene.
Decay of Enamel
If the white spots remain, the next stage of degeneration begins, which is the deterioration of the enamel. Underneath the surface of the tooth, the enamel starts to break and a lesion forms. These types of lesions are the major cause of teeth breakage. Upon sighting of such lesions, consult a reputed dentist in Hope Island immediately.
Decay of Dentin
The next stage of tooth degeneration is dentin decay. Once the lesions reach the dentin, the process of decay is rapidly progressive. Dentin is the layer between the enamel and the pulp. At this stage, cavities forms which are painful. If you seek dental assistance at this point, your dentist in Hope Island will suggest filling the affected tooth.
Affecting of Pulp
The pulp contains living cells and tissues. When the decay reaches the pulp, it is excruciating. The decay of pulp causes pus to fill the tooth, killing the nerves and blood vessels. You experience a toothache at this stage, and the usual treatment is root canal therapy.
Formation of Abscesses
Due to the bacterial infection in the tooth, abscesses form and it is the final stage, which is the most painful. Due to the formation of abscesses, the tongue and surrounding area of the decayed tooth swell up. After this stage, the tooth either falls or needs to be extracted by a trusted dentist in Hope Island.
TIPS TO KEEP YOUR TEETH STRONG AND HEALTHY AS YOU AGE
The good news is the progression of tooth decay is stoppable if you follow the tips as listed.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene by brushing your teeth twice daily. Brush them for 2 minutes in the morning before breakfast and at night after dinner.
- Use fluoride toothpaste for maximum protection. Also, make sure the brush you use has soft but firm bristles for deep cleaning.
- Don’t skip flossing. It helps remove the build-up of plaque that starts the process of tooth decay.
- Bacteria build up in the toothbrush over time. Change toothbrushes or toothbrush heads (if you have an electrical brush) every three months to maintain hygiene.
- Lessen the consumption of sugary food and drinks. Don’t consume too many soft drinks, desserts, juices, chocolates etc.
- Drinking too much coffee/ tea or smoking weakens your teeth. They cause damage to tooth enamel. Also, they cause staining, which promotes yellowness or black spots.
- Keep antibacterial mouthwashes handy. In case you consume acidic or sugary food, rinse your mouth with the wash. It can help keep the formation of bacteria in your mouth at bay.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink water to keep your mouth clean and moist. Also, keep sugar-free chewing gums handy to increase saliva production, which helps fight tooth decay.
- Employ the right technique to brush your teeth. Moving the brush in a circular motion is recommended as it removes plaque more effectively than brushing up and down. You can watch a tutorial on YouTube to learn the right way to brush.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals to whiten the teeth or clean them. Chemicals can weaken the tooth’s enamel making it more susceptible to decay.
TAKE PROFESSIONAL CONSULTATION
For healthy teeth, it is essential to schedule regular visits to a reputed dentist in Hope Island. The specialist can help you learn more about dental hygiene and recommend measures to keep your teeth strong and healthy. If you have visible blackness on your teeth, bad mouth odour, sharp pain, sensitivity to hot or cold (food/drinks), or severe toothache, visit your trusted dentist immediately.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential for good health. The bacteria and germs that cause tooth decay can transfer from one person to another. Tooth decay if left untreated can aid in spreading of other ailments. So, ensure you use clean brushes, buy fluoride toothpaste, and apply the right technique. Furthermore, visit your preferred dentist in Hope Island regularly and follow their advice diligently.